The voice of members of The Canadian Media Guild, Fredericton.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Fredericton Guild Blog signs off ... for now

With the posting of the Picket Puppets video, the wrap-up of picketing by non-sock Guild members, and today's ratification vote, this blog site will be going into hibernation. Your humble blog editor will not be posting or maintaining this site on a regular basis.

The site will remain up indefinitely, however, and the Guild local may choose to keep it going as another communications options as we move into the post-lockout era.

If you want to copy any pictures, podcasts or other material, please do so now by right-clicking on what you want, and saving it to your hard drive. We will be copying the entire blog onto a CD for the Guild's archiving project, but it will be simpler for individuals who want material to copy it now.

Thanks to all who contributed to this experiment: Curtis for all the photos, Michael Stuart for maintaining the "thanks" page and donating server space, Don Flatt for helping to post the podcasts, George Butters for some server space in the first frantic week, Indy Media for server space, members of the public for posting comments and spurring more discussion, and anyone else who posted or helped and whom I have forgotten to mention.

During the lockout blogging and podcasting have proven themselves to be effective and even exciting new ways of communicating. Let's hope the CBC takes note.
Jacques

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys,

As Tod Maffin says, "I'm not erasing history!!". I agree with that and you shouldn't be too ruthless with the editing. Negative or not, isn't it factual? Why try and hide the facts?

9:10 AM

 
Blogger CMG Fredericton said...

I agree with the sentiment, but the fact is that the back-to-work protocol requires it, and the Guild agreed to it. I think information that is clearly factual is fine and can stay. After all, the protocol talks about "accepted journalistic standards." I don't intend to be too ruthless. If management objects to anything I decide to leave on the site, we can discuss it then.
And just a reminder, we will be copying the entire contents of the blog to CD for Guild archiving ... so nothing is being erased permanently. I am as anxious as anyone to preserve a full historical record of this dispute, including the blog.
Jacques

9:23 AM

 
Anonymous Alison said...

I'm not editing my blog. This is a public record so I'm keeping it that way. The back-to-work protocol asks the CMG to encourage bloggers to edit their product...it doesn't directly order bloggers to do so. And Dan Oldfield says he's telling bloggers to alter the blogs. I am also archiving my blog on a CD...just the same as I back up all my work.
I too am stopping my blog. I will officially stop adding new stuff to the blog tonight as tomorrow is the official 'back-to-work' day and I'm back on the payroll.

Alison in Winnipeg

12:48 AM

 
Anonymous Wayne said...

You must be feeling a tremendous sense of relief knowing that you're going back to work and to a regular paycheck. There will be some tense times, but the professionalism that you all demonstrated throughout this lock-out and in the production of the webcasts will carry you through the transition. Good luck to all of you and "break a leg"!

1:51 AM

 
Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

See you girls and gals Tuesday.....

11:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home